Pages

Monday, September 9, 2013

Toy 1 - Toy Quest


In Toy Quest the player has been trapped in a dimensional puzzle created by a nightmare made real. They must escape by jumping to and from platforms, avoid nightmarish obstacles, and rescue their favorite toy to escape the nightmare.  

The setting is the inside of a toy box dimensional-twisted into a nightmarish puzzle. The time period is in the early 2000's.

The back story of the game starts with the player (you) falling asleep and waking up inside your toy box. You quickly realize that your favorite toy is missing and you must retrieve it to wake up from the nightmare.

I began creating this with more of a Bloxorz mechanic in mind where you complete one platform's puzzle at a time, but instead of rotating the cube like Bloxorz I ended up making it jump...and that was too much fun, so I went with it.

So far the only obstacles I have in my my level depend on the collision of the platforms depending on color. Orange platforms have no collision and the player can fall through them. Purple platforms act a lot like the platforms in Smash Bros where you can go up through the platform from below, but you cannot fall through the top. From this basic rule I have created platforms that change color and collision to increase the difficulty of the character's movement through the level. See Example Below:
  


I would like to create more platform challenges such as moving platforms you have to time correctly, and add in more colors like red where if you land on it the players health is reduced and the level starts over. Other possible objects I would like to implement would be to move blocks out of the way, avoid little nightmare monsters that damage the player, and the collection of other smaller toys that increase the health.

The last thing I would add is to rotate the world much like in Fez to complete puzzles.


Now for the Video:




No comments:

Post a Comment